Sunday, January 4, 2009

Family Fish...


I had to translate this recipe into English so that I could upload it here and it took so long! This is because I got this recipe from my mom and she had everything in Chinese. This, again, is really simple. Nothing will burn, nothing will go bad. This is so easy that you could cook it with your eyes closed (I know I am exaggerating a little, but its just to show you how simple it is).

Ingredients

  • 3 - 5 spanish mackerel (depends on how many people you are serving)
  • 4 - 6 garlics (depends on your liking)
  • 1 teaspoon fermented black beans
  • 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
  • 3 sticks lemongrass
  • 4 pieces asam skin
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 - 3 tablespoon oil (depends on your liking also)

Method
  1. Chop garlic finely.
  2. Fry chopped onions and fermented back beans in oil until fragrant.
  3. Add soy sauce.
  4. Immediately after adding soy sauce, add water, lemongrass and asam skin.
  5. Mix well and bring it to a boil.
  6. When its boiling, put in the mackerels.
  7. Simmer for at least 30 minutes. At most 45 minutes.

PS. You can just cook until all the sauce dries up. However, I like it with some sauce so I could dip the fish with some sauce before devouring it. 

PS. You can also use other fishes that you like, as long as you can fit it in whatever you are cooking them with. 

PS. Do not cut the fish into pieces as the fish will be very fragile after cooking.

No comments: